father of the groom speech. My son got married last month so I decided to share a few tips about how to write a wedding speech, because I, myself, had a lot of troubles preparing my toast. So I'll try to gather in one place all the tips and ideas I learned in the past months (click here for some speech examples).
In this introductory article I'll tell you a few things about the father of the groom speech template. Here are the main ideas that you should make sure you include in your wedding toast:
1) First, you will thank the bride's father for the opening toast (usually he gives the first speech, being the host of the event, but about the wedding speech order we'll talk in the next article). You should also thank him for all the trouble he went through to setup the wedding and also compliment him and his wife for raising such a great daughter (click here for some opening lines ideas for your speech).
2) Next you thank to all the guests that came to the wedding. Let them know how much you appreciate their effort to make it to the wedding, no matter how long some of them traveled.
3) Next, you say a few nice things about the bride. Welcome her into your family and let her know how much she means to you and how happy you are that she's marring your son.
4) Next, you say a few things about your son. You can start with some memories from his childhood, maybe share a few funny moments from the past. You should talk about 2-3 minutes about this stuff.
5) In the end, you raise your glass and propose a toast to the newlyweds and wish them a happy marriage (here are some closing lines for your toast).
This is the basic structured for the father of the groom speech. In the next articles we'll discuss about the wedding speech order and some tips about your speech and the presentation.